Think you don’t need flood insurance? Perhaps you don’t live near water, or maybe you have a great homeowners policy. The truth is, every home is at risk of flooding. Before passing on flood coverage, here are five things you should know.
1. Every home is in a flood zone.
According to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), nearly 20% of all flood insurance claims are made by homeowners living in areas considered a low risk for a flood. That means regardless of whether your mortgage company required you to purchase flood insurance, your home is at risk for flooding.
2. No homeowners insurance policy covers flooding.
It’s a common misconception that homeowners insurance covers flood damage, but the truth is only flood insurance covers flood damage. Without it, the cost of the damage comes out of your pocket.
3. You can’t rely on the federal government to pay for flood damage.
Federal assistance is only available if the president declares an area a disaster. Even then, the assistance is not compensation for your losses, but rather a low-interest loan that requires repayment with interest, along with your mortgage.
4. Flood losses are costly.
Most people don’t realize that just a few inches of floodwater can do thousands of dollars worth of damage. In a 2,000 square foot home, one inch of water can cause as much as $27,000 or more in damage to your home and its contents.
5. Flood polices are affordable.
AAA can help protect your home with rates starting at less than $1 per day.* In 2017 the average amount of flood coverage was $252,261, and the average annual premium was $707.
|Building Coverage||Contents Coverage||Annual Premium||Cost Per Day|
Rates effective April 1, 2019. These PRP rates are for 1-4 Family Residential without a basement or enclosure. Other residential building and contents coverage combinations are available. Premium includes a 15% Reserve Fund Assessment, $25 Federal Policy Fee, Increased Cost of Compliance, and $25 HFIAA surcharge for policies covering primary residences only if the named insured’s primary residence is a single-family dwelling, an individual condominium unit, or an apartment in a non-condominium building. Add $225 to the HFIAA surcharge for all other policies. Add the $50 Probation Surcharge, if applicable. Deduct the Increased Cost of Compliance if the risk is a condominium unit.
Flood insurance purchased through AAA is underwritten by a participating insurer of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP is administered and regulated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
* The full annual premium must be paid prior to policy inception. In certain circumstances, flood insurance can be canceled and a refund can be issued. For additional information about cancellation, please contact your agent.
From changing flat tires roadside to jumping batteries in your driveway to providing a tow truck when you need it, AAA Roadside Assistance can help get you on your way. AAA is the nation’s most comprehensive service provider. A simple phone call or online request is all it takes to bring help to your disabled vehicle. As a member, you’re covered in any car — whether you are the driver or passenger.**
- Battery Boost
- Emergency Repair Check Acceptance
- Extrication & Winching
- Fuel Delivery Service
- Minor Mechanical First Aid
- One-Day Free Car Rental
- Tire Service
- Vehicle Lock-Out Services
With Alexa, say "Alexa, open AAA Road Service". On Google Assistant, say "Talk to AAA Roadside Service". You’ll immediately be connected for light service requests, including:
- Battery boost/replacement
- Fuel delivery
- Flat tire repair
- Vehicle Lock-out Service
Before you request AAA Roadside Service, you should first set your device address on all Alexa devices as this will pull that address as your breakdown/service request location. If you are using the Alexa App on your phone and provide permission for Location Services then the GPS locator will return the address where you are broken down.
1. Access the Amazon Alexa App and tap the menu icon.
2. Tap “Skills & Games.”
3. Tap the magnifying glass icon to search for the desired skill.
4. Type in “AAA Road Service” and select the returned skill.
5. Tap the “Enable to Use” button.
6. Accept “Device Address” and “Location Services” by tapping on the checkmark squares, then tap “Save Permissions”.
7. Link your membership by entering:
– membership number
– last name
– home zip code
8. Tap the “Link Account” button
9. Verify your account information is correct. Tap the “I agree…” box, then tap the “Yes, Confirm Account” button.
Once you set your device and install the Alexa App for mobile phones, you”ll be able to access AAA Roadside Assistance in any car, anytime, anywhere!
1. Download the Google Assistant App from the App store:
• Click on the App store icon
• Search for and select the ‘Google Assistant App’
• Download the app
2. Open the app to set it up
3. Once Google Assistant is set up, a welcome message will appear
4. As a member, you can now open Google Assistant at any time and simply say “Talk to AAA Road Service” when you need light service for your vehicle.
1. Turn on Google Assistant
- Android phones: open the Google app>tap Menu>under Google Assistant, tap Settings>turn on
- Pixel: touch and hold the Home button or say “OK Google”>tap Turn On
2. Simply say “Talk to AAA Road Service” when you need light service for your vehicle
PLEASE NOTE: The first time you request “Talk to AAA Road Service”, Google Assistant will ask to link your AAA Membership account to Google. After you respond “Yes”, you will then be prompted to enter your membership number, last name and home zip code. Once you confirm your membership information, you will be able to access AAA Roadside Assistance in any car, anytime, anywhere!
Upon activation and with proper identification, AAA will provide regular AAA services and full privileges for the new member. Roadside benefits begin 3 days after payment of dues. Some restrictions apply.
**Roadside Assistance is provided by independent facilities contracted by AAA. Visit www.aaa.com/memberhandbook for full details on eligible vehicles and the limitations and restrictions of service. Membership benefits vary with membership levels and are subject to change without notice. Coverage in taxis and limousines is excluded. Offers, terms, conditions and policies are subject to change without notice.
† Message and data rates may apply. Terms and Conditions